The Mound, Warwick castle.
First built in 1068 on the orders of William the Conqueror, it formed the most important part of the Norman castle's defence system.
Advances in military architecture, however, made it more and more of an outpost. By the 17th century, it had been absorbed within Sir Fulke Greville's garden, topped by a single Scots pine.
Today, it is the perfect vantage point, not for defending against marauding English troops but for taking in the beautiful unfolding views of these peaceful grounds.